I am beyond honored to be a part of E’Claire Makery’s FREE PATTERN Back to School Blog Hop! Every day a new designer features a fun pattern that will help make the new school year a little more fun! I am excited to release my Handy Little Octopus Hand Sanitizer Keychain Pattern! This little guy was created to fit a 2 fl oz bottle of hand sanitizer (like Germ X or Purell.) I am excited to make this all natural hand sanitizer recipe to refill my little bottles and keep my germ-killer “Handy.”
Tools and Materials:
– Peaches and Creme Yarn (#4 cotton) shown in “Bright Blue”
– Size G crochet hook
(I’m using this game changing Clover Amour hook!)
– 2 fl oz. hand sanitizer bottle (will fit most travel sizes, see notes)
– small amount of yarn or embroidery thread for mouth, optional
– yarn needle for sewing a mouth
– any size buttons for eyes and one approx. 3/4 ” button for closure
– needle and thread for sewing buttons
– stitch marker (I use a bobby pin)
– keychain ring – I love these rings with lobster clasps from Amazon.
ch – chain
chs – chains
st – stitch
sts – stitches
sl st – slip stitch
flo – front loop only
blo – back loop only
hdc – half double crochet
– This pattern was intended to fit a small 2 fl oz. size hand sanitizer bottle. If you have a hand sanitizer bottle that is bigger or smaller, you can simply change your hook size to accomodate. Your round 1 should be just a tiny bit larger than the bottom of your hand sanitizer bottle (see fig 1.)
– You may want to pause after a few rounds to sew on your mouth and eyes. It is much easier to sew them on as you go instead of waiting until the sides are taller. I like to sew the mouth on round 4 and the eyes on round 6. Make sure to sew the face embellishments on the OPPOSITE side of where you joined.
Octopus Hand Sanitizer Keychain Pattern:
- Round 1: Ch 8, hdc4 in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next 4 ch, hdc4 in next ch, turning to work down other side of beginning chs, hdc in next 4 chs, sl st in FLO of 1st hdc to join. (16 sts)
- Round 2 (Tentacle Round:) * Ch 10, 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook and remaining 8 chs. Sl st in same flo that your chs came out of, scflo in next 2 sts. ** Repeat between * and ** 7 more times. Sl st to flo of first st, then sl st to blo of same st. (8 tentacles made)
- Round 3: Working in blo, ch 1, hdc in same st. (Hdc2 in next 2 sts, hdc in next 6 sts, hdc 2 in next 2 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, sl st to first st, ch 1. (20 sts)
- Round 4 – 9: Working in a continuous spiral, hdc in each st around, do not join. (20 sts) *Don’t forget to sew your facial features as you go. It is much easier than doing them at the end!
- Round 10: Sc in 14 sts, ch 13, skip 1 st, sc in next 4 sts. Grab your keychain ring and hold it up to the edge of your work. Working around the ring, sc into the next 2 sts to secure the keychain ring. Sl st in next 3 sts. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- Sew a larger button on the back of the octopus, right on round 8 or 9. Make sure your loop stretches to fit the size button you choose before you sew it in place.
That's it! Your Handy Little Octopus is ready to go Back to School!
I hope you enjoy this practical little crochet project. Play around with different facial features, or leave the octopus plain without adding eyes, mouth, etc. I’d love to see your finished creations. Tag me on facebook and instagram with @crochetbossonline, add your pics to the projects tab in Ravelry, and use the hashtag #handylittleoctopus so we can find each others’ cute little buddies.