Summer is now over (except here in Florida, maybe!)
Many of you are in full Fall Market Prep mode, making beanies and scarves until you see yarn in your sleep. I hope this pattern is something unique you can add to your market setup. This yarn is SOOOOOO DREEEEEAMMMMY but of course you can make this ear warmer in any yarn and keep stitching until it is the length you desire.
If you haven’t worked with Caron Latte Cakes yet, what are you waiting for? This is one of those yarns that just begs to be picked up and squished.
This pattern uses a Waistcoat Half Double Crochet Stitch, which gives a knitted look that looks great with any yarn. Check it out here in Yarn Bee Breathe Deep Yarn by Hobby Lobby (suuuuper soft!)
Tools and Materials:
– Size J (6mm) Crochet Hook – I love my Susan Bates hook
– Caron Latte Cakes Yarn (I used “Persimmon Blue”)
ch – chain
st – stitch
sts – stitches
hdc – half double crochet
wchdc – waistcoat half double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
– Directions are written in U.S. terms.
– Gauge is not important for this pattern.
– Ch 2 at end of each row DOES count as a stitch.
– Each row will have a total of 12 stitches including beginning ch 2. (12 sts)
– For the Waistcoat Half Double Crochet (wchdc:)
Yarn over, insert hook into the “V” at the base of your stitch, pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook.
** This stitch gives our ear warmer the subtle knitted look that is often hard to achieve with a crochet hook! I was testing the Juliet tank top pattern for my buddy at @mosemakes and fell in love with the look of this stitch. Here’s a great tutorial I found on Youtube to help me make sure I was inserting the hook INTO the V correctly. The only difference is that we are turning this into a half double crochet instead of a single crochet like the video shows.
(Sorry I couldn’t find a hdc waistcoat stitch video!)
– Crochet your wchdc stitches slightly loosely – you want to be able to get your hook into that side “V,” so make sure your stitches aren’t too tight.
Love You Latte Earwarmer Crochet Pattern
- Leaving a 3″ tail, Ch 14.
- Row 1: Hdc in 3rd ch from hook and remaining chains, turn. (12 sts)
- Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as 1st st,) skip the 1st st and wchdc in base posts of 2nd st, schdc in next 9 sts, hdc in top of ch 2 from previous row.
(*see fig 1 for exactly where to place these 1st and last stitches.)
- Repeat Row 2 until piece (unstretched) measures 20″ (adult medium.) Feel free to adjust this for different sizes.
- Slip stitch both ends of the ear warmer together. DO NOT fasten off.
- Ch 60, cut yarn 3″ away from your last chain and pull tail through last chain.
- Cinch your ear warmer at the seam and wind your chain around the join, secure by tying a knot using your beginning and ending tails. Weave the tails under your wrap knot and cut any remaining tails.
That’s it! Your ear warmer is done and is comfy enough to want to sleep in!